We have been approached by a school PTA with a request to build an enclosure that could hold books to provide a free “library” service, where people could swap or borrow books. This would ideally be located in the grounds of the associated local primary school. The requirements are:
- Outdoor storage for books;
- Should be enclosed (weatherproof);
- Brightly coloured and / or decorated;
- Resembling a house if possible;
- Clear glass- or plastic-fronted for visibility, if possible. Safety glass or polycarbonate would be ideal;
- It should display the words “Free Library” or similar;
- Shelved to accommodate a several books of different sizes (dimensions to be agreed).
Below are a couple of examples:
It may be possible to start with a wardrobe, a cupboard, a kitchen unit, a dresser, or a chest of drawers, or similar, and adapt it to meet the requirements.
Members of the Shed are asked to consider whether they could take on some or all of the work of building the library, and / or offer suggestions about how to go about the work. Please leave any relevant comments against this post.