How to join
Membership is free to anyone who agrees to support the ideals of the group and abide by its principles of friendship and mutual support within the community. All we ask is that you make a contribution to the cost of tea / coffee / biscuits when you turn up to meetings!
To join Pentlands Men’s Shed, (or for existing members to update your details), please fill in the on-line form by clicking here or selecting the “Member Registration and Profile” option within the “Membership” menu (above). Alternatively download the form here, print it, fill it in, and hand it in to the Shed or to one of its members.
In joining the Shed, you agree to abide by its Constitution which is available here. You also agree to abide by the the Scottish Men’s Sheds Association Constitution and its Purposes – see below.
The Scottish Men’s Sheds Association (SMSA) Charity SC 045139 recognises a Men’s Shed as any community-based, non-profit, non-commercial organisation that is accessible to all men and whose primary activity is the provision of a safe, friendly and healing environment where men are able to socialise and work on meaningful projects at their own pace, in their own time, in the company of other men. A major objective is to advance the wellbeing and health of the membership. The Scottish Men’s Sheds Association advises that Men’s Sheds who are registered with SMSA maintain an open door policy and conduct themselves in a non-discriminating manner, have a membership, ensure and observe safe work practices, aim at improving the wellbeing of all men and support their community.
The information you supply in applying for membership will be used for the purpose(s) for which you have provided it. This data will be maintained in accordance with the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 and will not be passed on or sold to any other organisation without your prior approval, unless there is a legal requirement to do so.
It is suggested (but not mandatory) that members of Pentlands Men’s Shed should also become members of the Scottish Men’s Shed Association (SMSA). This membership is also free, and can be applied for on the SMSA website – click here to go to the SMSA site.
Purposes of Scottish Men’s Sheds Association:
The main purpose of the organisation is to ensure that all men in Scotland have access to opportunities for increased citizenship and community development through the Scottish Men’s Sheds Association which can positively impact on their health, wellbeing and education, by:
- Promoting, advancing and supporting an effective and sustainable Scottish Men’s Sheds Movement.
- Representing the interests of men, Shedders, Men’s Sheds and the Men’s Sheds movement to all stakeholders including men, their community, their sheds, business, the health profession and all levels of government.
- To provide a direct ‘grassroots’ community based service of information, guidance and support to communities, organisations and/or individuals seeking to develop a Men’s Shed within their community.
- To enable information sharing, communication and co-operation among Men’s Sheds in Scotland, through the provision of an interactive website and social media for Men’s Sheds and the wider community.
- To advance education among those taking part in Men’s Sheds and the wider public, through the provision of a service of community based presentations, workshops and seminars regarding good practice in advancing the education, health and wellbeing of men through community based Men’s Sheds.